Magnetic MovesOur Workshops
Our workshops built to equip and empower parents and carers
Magnetic Moves presents informative and interactive workshops for parents and carers. Participants will experience hands on activities and learn practical ideas which can easily be implemented at home or school.
The workshops are run by Robyn Sims (registered Paediatric Occupational Therapist) and Jo Larcom who together bring a unique knowledge and understanding from the perspective of an OT and a mother of a child with sensory processing disorder.
Sensory Processing is a complex neurological condition which can impact upon a child’s behavioural and developmental skills. It can present without any other diagnosis, but is also associated with Autism and Attention Deficit Disorder. Children with Sensory Processing Disorder may misinterpret everyday sensory information, such as touch, sound and movement. They may feel overwhelmed by sensory information, may seek out sensory experiences or may avoid certain experiences.
Does your child do any of the following…
- Constantly on the go
- Dislikes certain textures eg: clothing, socks
- Touches people a lot
- Has low energy
- Doesn’t tolerate changes and needs routine
- Easily distracted and overwhelmed by loud noises
If your child has been diagnosed with sensory processing disorder, or you feel they are showing signs similar to those above, you will benefit from attending one of our specially designed workshops.
Sensory Processing & Children’s Behaviour: Making sense of it all
Duration: 2 hours
This workshop was created in response to a need for more information about Sensory Processing Disorder. It has been running successfully for 3 years.
- What do we mean by sensory development and sensory processing?
- How does children’s behaviour reflect their sensory needs?
- Overview of strategies to help carers cope with challenging behaviours
Sensory Diet: Movement activities to centre your child
Duration: 2 hours
This hands on workshop is unique in the manner in which it explores practical ways to centre and calm children both at home and school.
- Being a sensory detective – identify sensory triggers in behaviour
- How can we use movement activities to regulate children’s energy levels?
- Strategies and activities that can be applied to help regulate children’s energy at home and school
Understanding and Managing Sensory Kids
Duration: 1 day workshop
This comprehensive workshop allows participants to gain a clear understanding of sensory processing experience practical strategies to assist children. It is a combination of the two evening workshops.
- What is Sensory Processing?
- How can children’s behaviour’s be a reflection of their sensory needs?
- How can we use movement activities to help regulate children’s energy levels?
- Strategies and activities that can be applied to help regulate children’s energy
To make a booking view our workshop schedule or email Jo Larcom and Robyn Sims at email@example.com
Certificates of attendances can be provided on request. If you would like us to present for your organisation we would love to hear from you.
If you are looking for another topic or area of interest relating to child development please contact us as we may be able to help.
Refund Policy – 2 or more weeks before workshop refund less 20% admin fee. 1 to 2 weeks before workshop refund less 30% admin fee. Less than 1 week before workshop no refund but offer of attendance may be made for the next available workshop at the same venue.
Our Worskhop History Includes
- Lady Gowrie Conference 2016
- Professional Development for schools and child care centres 2015
- Workshops presented at Chapel Hill 2015
- Full Day Workshop – Toowoomba 2014
- Workshops presented at Red Hill 2012-2014
- Presentation at ECTA Conferencce Brisbane 2013
- Presentation at C&K Conference Bundaberg 2011
- Professional Development for child care centres
- Parent Information through kindergartens
- Workshops presented at Chapel Hill throughout 2011
- Workshops through Playgroup Queensland throughout 2010
Send Us An Email